Happy Monday Everyone! I hope yall had a great weekend. I’ve been in such a crafty mood lately. I have Painted a Picture Frame for the kitchen counter, a Summer Ribbon Wreath for our front door and this cute little felt topiary for our apartment.
I typically don’t like to “toot my own horn”….but I must say, this is simply adorable. It’s super cheap and easy to make too. I’m thinking about selling them on etsy.com. What do you think?
Here's how I made the felt topiary:
You will need:
- (2) 3” styrofoam balls
- wooden dowel
- a pot or metal container of your choice
- ½ yard felt
- approximately 80 straight pins
- Spanish moss
- good scissors
- hot glue
- black and white craft paint and brush (if you want to paint your wooden dowel and your pot…I just got the regular clay pot from Michael’s and painted it black)
1. Insert the wooden dowel into a Styrofoam ball and secure it with hot glue.
2. If you desire, paint the wooden dowel with white craft paint and let it dry.
3. Also, if need to paint your pot, go ahead and do that now too so it can be drying while you make the topiary.
4. Cut approximately 70-80 3”-diameter circles out of felt. (Hint: Trace and cut one 3” circle, then use that as a template to cut out the remaining circles. These do not need to be perfect. Also, if you cut multiple layers of felt together you will save time.)
5. Fold each felt circle in half, and then fold it in half again.
6. Put a pin through the bottom tip of the felt circle and pin it into the Styrofoam ball. Continue inserting the felt circles in this manner until the entire Styrofoam ball is covered.
7. Trim the second Styrofoam ball until it fits securely into your pot or metal container. Insert the other end of the wooden dowel into the foam and secure it with hot glue. Cover the Styrofoam with Spanish moss. Add WALLAH!!!
And you're done! Enjoy!
I decided to put mine on a bookshelf in the living room.
Have you ever made one of these? I still can’t get over how cheap and easy this was. I love finding home décor items that are simple to make and look fabulous.